Saturday 26 March 2011

Book Recommendation - "How to Raise an Amazing Child: the Montessori Way to Bring Up Caring, Confident Children" by Tim Seldin

I borrowed this book from our local library when trying to find out more about the Montessori daycare centre that I'd recently enrolled Geekling at part time.  I'd done some light google research on Montessori but this book cemented my desire to introduce Montessori principles in our child rearing.  I was delighted to recognise several activities from my own upbringing, though my parents weren't intentionally following Montessori!

The book is presented beautifully, and the writing bubbles with an exciting, infectious enthusiasm.  I was actually rather sad the first time I read it that my newborn was still too young for the fun activities and science experiments.  Now that Geekling is one, we'll really start to get more out of this book.

"How to Raise an Amazing Child" has a great introduction, acknowledging the challenges of parenting, a brief bio of Maria Montessori, the periods in which children are more sensitive and receptive to different learning and tips on making your home child friendly in a Montessori style - that is going beyond "baby-proofing" to setting up the home in a way that allows the child to explore and interact with much of the home that is within baby's reach.

A later chapter has some excellent ideas for avoiding tantrums - I will have to let you know at a later date how well these work!  I found the chapter on discipline resonated with me - particularly making it a habit for children to clean up their messes (whether intentional or accidental messes) even from a young age.

I have read a few Montessori books and blogs now and for any friends curious as to the differences between Montessori style child rearing and traditional approaches, this is the first resource I will point them to.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere, Simone! I'm Montessori teacher from Croatia. You can visit my blog if you are interested in Montessori activities for kids (I'm writing my posts in Croatian and English):
    leptir.mojpribor.blogspot.com

    Nataša

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nataša, I'd love to check out your blog but that link doesn't work?

    ReplyDelete