Monday 1 July 2013

Home made change mat cover

The baby-sewing has begun!

I'm not into pastels, or pink.  I couldn't find a nice, bright change mat cover in a colour I liked, so I decided to sew my own.  I had planned to use minky, but it was $23 a meter! This gorgeous purple crushed velvet was only $4 a meter, though it was very slippery and difficult to sew with.

I used 1 meter of material and 1 meter of elastic ($1/m) per mat.  So they cost $5 each!  I made two as I know they'll need to be washed pretty often, so a spare will be handy.

I followed this tutorial, but rather than folding the material and cutting one corner out, I lay my material flat on the loungeroom floor, traced my change mat, then cut away the corners.  From there it went pretty well as per the tutorial.




Here's the finished product - I love the colour, the lustre and its sooooo soft that I wish I had something like this under my bare bum regularly!

I might make more in future as baby shower gifts, but will definitely use a different fabric that is easier to work with!

No comments:

Post a Comment