Saturday 5 May 2012

Bug catching

As a child I delighted in catching bugs and observing them for a time before releasing them.  I had one of the those cheap plastic bug houses that was standard issue in the 80s.  I'd always planned to get one for Geekling so when I saw this gorgeous wood and mesh one, I had to get it.
Image: http://www.uniquekids.com.au which stocks this catcher.  I got the same one from Bright Bugs

We have had a couple of occupants so far - a lady beetle we housed in there for a day before releasing...


and a very funky caterpillar.  It was green and black striped, fuzzy and had a red head and black feelers.  The red head reminded me of Eric Carle's Very Hungry Caterpillar which is Geekling's favourite book.


 He loved watching his "pet pillar".  When we went to release the silly thing it clung to the mesh and it took 3 days to find its way out.  Or maybe it was enjoying the food too much.




No comments:

Post a Comment