Tuesday 5 April 2011

Kitchen Substitution - Zucchini Mini Muffins

Hubby grated some zucchini and yellow button squash up to use in Geekling's dinner tonight but grated far too much, and as luck would have it I had just purchased a mini muffin tray today - so I decided to whip up some zucchini mini muffins for Geekling's snacks.  I had a quick Google for recipes but many included ingredients I either did not have, or did not have the time to prepare as I was cooking our dinner at the same time.  In the end I roughly used this recipe.

My first problem is that we had run out of butter, and while I had cream on hand I didn't have the time to whip or shake it into butter tonight.  So I substituted flavoured oil - actually the oil I keep saving from sundried tomatoes when I buy them (I'm a bit of a hoarder so half our fridge is filled with dregs like this that I think can find another use).  I think it worked really well, and added a little extra flavour that was needed as I was omitting the bacon and salt.  I didn't measure the zucchini (and squash) - I just added what we had which was well over the recipe requirements, added some sliced spring onion as I was slicing it for our dinner as well and as we have a glut of eggs at the moment I added two instead of one.

The recipe filled my big tray of 24 mini muffins and I had enough to make 3 full sized muffins extra, which Hubby and I will take for lunch.  We sampled one of the mini muffins and it was very tasty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment